iHRIS Academy 2013 Report
iHRIS Academy 2013, Training on iHRIS Administrator Course and Linux Commands, was held from 12 August to 16 August at the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Participants were from 7 African countries, namely Botswana, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Tanzania. Each country was represented by a number of people ranging from 2 to 5 participants.
Photo: Montwedi Bushy Makgetla (Botswana) and Dykki Settle (IntraHealth International) pose with the network equipment.
The purpose and objectives of the iHRIS Academy were:
- Learn technical implementation and installation of iHRIS
- iHRIS Manage customization: fields, forms, reports, and data imports
- iHRIS database administration: backups, restore, and updates
- Advanced Linux shell commands and programming
- Software development with Bazaar and Launchpad.net
- Server/system administration
- Discuss and share iHRIS implementation experiences with other implementers from the region
The method of work used during the training was presentation on major specific challenges of each country in implementation of iHRIS. The group work, which also answered country-specific questions and issues, helped to get feedback from other countries on how to resolve and improve usage of iHRIS Manage.
The five-day training enabled participants of each country to present their work and have major components of the technical implementation strategy. This could further be developed and discussed with stakeholders in-country.
In conclusion, we held a short certificate award ceremony outside the boardroom, where the Principal for the College of Information and Communication Technology of the University of Dar es Salaam congratulated both the organizers and the participants for coming together and sharing their experiences and networking.