Three Early Digital Health COVID-19 Response Success Stories
Coronavirus infection rates are climbing exponentially around the world with over 440,000 confirmed cases and 20,000 deaths so far. Governments, donors, and health workers are scrambling to find digital health solutions they can use in COVID-19 response activities.
While we desperately need innovative solutions now, we must be patient and:
- Avoid pilotitis that results in more failed ICT4D interventions
- Stop siloed systems development that replicates existing processes
- Resist complicated technologies that divert scarce resources
We all need to follow the Principles for Digital Development as we respond to country needs. This is a world-stopping emergency, and we all are moving fast. However, we must focus on solutions that:
- Foster government and community ownership
- Build on existing systems and familiar technology
- Incentivize long-term usefulness with flexible functionality
Only with measured and appropriate digital health technology solutions will we be efficient and effective in our response to COVID-19.
Subscribe Now for more Digital Health Case Studies
Digital Health COVID-19 Response Success Stories
There are three early successes that showcase how information and communication technologies (ICT4D) can support rapid responses to communicable disease outbreaks, like COVID-19. Each of these implementations build on the three perquisites above and decades of collective experience in emergency response within governments and across the development sector.
Let us hope that more of these 60+ digital health solutions become future COVID-19 response success stories.